Wednesday 16 May 2012

Timber.....24 cabin trees gone!

We have now had our little cabin at Wizard Lake for 12 years on June1st! It has been a wonderful place to escape to and relax when things get too hectic in the city. On a recent visit out there, we noticed a large tree had broken off and a big portion of it lay in the yard. Luckily it didn't hit anything! Well, this caused us some concern, so we called in a tree cutter and he came to investigate! After an hour of him hugging and marking our trees, we were told we need to cut down 24 (!!) of them! Wow!!

The tree cutting started today, we went out after work and twelve trees had been taken down. It was amazing to us how they could cut them down and lay them in perfect position on the ground and do no damage to our property! These are tall trees, many of them 70-80 feet high!! Doug counted the rings on one of them and got to over a hundred!

Sad to see them coming down, they are so majestic. However, it is better to be safe than sorry. Doug bought a quad trailer so we can move and stack all of the cut up logs to one side of our yard and make a log fence. If anybody needs firewood come get it at the cabin!

Doug and I were at the cabin Friday and Saturday, cleaning, sorting and Spring cleaning. It was so much fun and so necessary!! We had so much stuff to take to the dump! We even had to load up the trailer! We love going there on Saturdays, the dump manager is such a nice guy, we always save our bottles and take them to him.

When we returned home to Edmonton Saturday afternoon, I noticed something different about my yard. My flower bed in the front yard had secretly been planted by Lindsay while we were at the cabin! What a fun surprise!! And she did it so professionally, I thought she had help from a garden 'designer', but it was all her own planning! She even put a sign in the garden saying 'Thanks for helping me blossom!" It was so cute, and it was so wonderful to talk with all the kids on Mother's Day!!

The extent of my gardening this year has been to go to Costco and buy their extraordinarily inexpensive, but beautiful flowers! It was like a mad house at Costco today, everyone trying to get their flowers bought before the long weekend. I barely made it out of there alive! I felt like I had to guard my flowers with my life or someone would steal them out from under me! it was so wonderful to get them home safe, they look great on my step, I think Rachel likes them, too!

Well, we are off to Vancouver tomorrow for a four day road trip. We are going to Jasper, then to Whistler, and down to Surrey to the new Vancouver Temple. We have never been to the Vancouver Temple and we are excited to go Saturday night! We hope the weather is nice, but it will be so good just to spend some fun time together!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment